Slight spoilers in the explanations but I did my best to spoiler tag them all.. I just started A Dance With Dragons so try not to spoil me! :)
I tried to show both dark and light sides in most of these icons and I hope I didn't fail too miserably. :)
1. Brienne of Tarth; Good. Inspired by the word valiant and this image by appleindecay. Brienne is the light side to this pairing because if you know Brienne (which you should because she is fucking AWESOME), you know she is brave, true and trustworthy and probably the character that fits the word "good" the most in the series, in my opinion.
2. Arya Stark; Good. Inspired by this image with a quote from quotes-on-the-horizon@tumblr. This pairing was difficult because both Arya and Jaqen can be seen both ways, but I feel like Arya is the lighter side of this pairing because Jaqen sort of helps her come to the dark side -- if only for a little while.
3. Tyrion Lannister; Good. Inspired by this icon by appleindecay. He is the light side in this pairing because deep down beneath all the snarky wit and cleverness, he really just wants his daddy to hug him but Tywin doesn't hug anyone. He's also always been extra shunned by his father for being born differently.
4. Sansa Stark; Good. Inspired by the word brave. "I am a Stark, yes, I can be brave." Sansa Stark is probably the bravest character in the series and you could probably pair anyone with Joffrey and they'd still be the light side. :P
5. Daenerys Targaryen; Good. Inspired by the word worthy. Daenerys is obviously the light side of this pairing because Viserys is an abusive, whiny, entitled asshole. :\
6. Jaime Lannister; Evil. Inspired by the word sinner and this icon by erzsebet. He is the dark side to this pairing; he is a kingslayer, an oathbreaker, is snarky and quite rude to Brienne and [A Storm of Swords/A Feast For Crows Spoilers]he spends a lot of time with Brienne in the books (and to come in the show, hopefully). I just love their dynamic so much and they are two of my favorite characters.
7. Jaqen H'ghar; Evil. Inspired by the word aggressive. He is the dark side to this pairing and, as I said above, brings Arya to the dark side.
8. Tywin Lannister; Evil. Inspired by the word dark. Tywin is the dark side to this pairing because as I explained above, he has shunned Tyrion since he was a baby.
9. Joffrey Baratheon; Evil. Inspired by the word brute and is the dark side to this pairing because he is a cruel little person and the most cruel to Sansa :(
10. Viserys Targaryen; Evil. Inspired by the word malevolent. He is the dark side to this pairing because he is awful in almost every way but especially towards Daenerys.
11. Catelyn Tully; Good. Inspired by the word true. Catelyn is the light side to this pairing; she is honest and true. I think Littlefinger never truly had a chance with her because of the questionable things he does all the time.
12. Jon Snow; Good. Inspired by the word hero and this icon by longerthanwedo. Jon is the light side of this pairing because of how honourable and uptight he is which is a nice contrast to Ygritte's wild unruliness.
13. Robb Stark; Good. Inspired by the word reckless. He is the lighter side of this pairing; the perceived good, honourable, righteous son of Ned Stark who is betrayed by his childhood best friend.
14. Margaery Tyrell; Good. Inspired by the word righteous. No character in this series is truly righteous, but I think she is at least perceived as very righteous [A Storm of Swords/A Feast For Crows Spoilers]until Cersei has her accused of adultery and treason.
15. Stannis Baratheon; Good. Inspired by the word honourable. He is, as I've heard him described somewhere before, basically a less loved Ned Stark. He is honourable and honest and Melisandre is, as I explain below, like the shoulder devil whispering into his ear.
16. Petyr Baelish; Evil. Inspired by the word villain. He is the dark side to this pairing because he does some pretty questionable things all the while still vying for Catelyn's affections.
17. Ygritte; Evil. Inspired by the word ambitious. She is the dark side of this pairing because she is wild and unruly while Jon is somewhat chaste and tightly laced and she helps him unravel.
18. Theon Greyjoy; Evil. Inspired by the word lost. He is the dark side of this pairing because of his betrayal and bloodlust.
19. Cersei Lannister; Evil. Inspired by the word carnal. I paired her with Margaery because She is the perceived bad side of this pairing because [A Storm of Swords/A Feast For Crows Spoilers]of the tension they share in the books and how Cersei is the perceived bad side.
20. Melisandre of Asshai: Evil. Inspired by the word demon and this icon by appleindecay. She is the dark side of this pairing because she is kind of like the shoulder devil plot device, whispering things in Stannis' ear, controlling him and having shadow babies.
† Credit rebel and/or criminal if you use, please.
† Please watch for more! :)
† Comments are awesome!
† Do not use these as icon bases.
† My resource list is here.